Lowering the electricity bill is easy when following the simple tips in this article. Habits of leaving all the lights on in the house can cause the electric bill to sky rocket.
Here are some ways to reduce the cost of electricity and in turn, reduce your electricity bill.
Reduce electricity bill via lighting
- Turn off the lights. If no one is in the room, turn off the lamps.
- Light a candle in the bathroom. Even a small candle can provide enough light for just using the toilet.
- Replace bulbs with energy efficient bulbs. This can reduce the monthly electric bill by $20.00.
- Use natural lighting as much as possible. Open the curtains during the day.
Electronics can use a lot of electricity
Power strips are a great investment. Hook up all the cords behind the entertainment center and computer desk to power strips. Most televisions, video games, and modems have stand by lights on all night which are using electricity. Turn the power strips off when not in use or at least before going to bed to keep the electronics from pulling energy.
Cost of appliances on electricity bill
- Unplug the toaster, the coffee maker, or any other appliances when not in use.
- Wash clothes in cold water then run them through a second spin cycle. Hang to dry.
- Use the microwave or a gas grill. Heating up an electric oven uses a lot of energy.
- Turn off the heated dry setting on the dishwasher. Washing dishes by hand takes some time, but can save money.
Check your electricity meter frequently
Some electric companies will average your usage. Keeping up with the meter readings will allow for contesting the bill if it’s incorrect.
Electricity bills and peak times
Some electric companies have peak times for electric use. Find out what the local electric company considers peak times and wash clothes and run the dishwasher during the off peak hours.
Teach your children to save money on electricity
- Children are sometimes at fault by leaving on lights, televisions, and radios. Encourage them to turn it off when it’s not needed.
- Make sure children aren’t sneaking to turn the thermostat up or down.
Remove any drafts in your house, it will reduce the cost of electricity for you
- If the doors are drafty, install seals around the facing. Place towels at the bottom of the doors to keep in the heat.
- Rolled up towels work great in windowsills to keep drafts at a minimum.
These electricity saving tips will help you substantially reduce the cost of your electricity bill. By saving money on power and electricity, you can put the money to more important things.
Remember, that to save the most money and reduce electricity bills to the max – you need to get wise with your entire household and search for as many ways as possible to save on electricity. Start from one end of the house and make your way to the other.