Selling your home can be daunting a task; you need to be organised, well prepared and have the self-motivation to find ways to increase the value of your home prior to selling.
Every dollar counts. Many people fail to realise that there are methodical and easy ways to increase the value of your home, it just takes a little bit of planning and hard work to yield the best possible sale price.
This post serves as a checklist of ways to potentially increase the value of your home; I suggest you work on each item and sell your home knowing you have done everything in your power to get the highest possible price.
The basics of increasing your sale price
#1 Choose the right Real Estate Agent
When it comes to selling your home, possibly the most important consideration is choosing the right real estate agent to meet your goals, expectations and work ethic.
Real estate agents are the first point of contact a potential buyer has with your property. You want to select an agent that is self-motivated and affable with an unparalleled desire to maximise the amount of money they get you.
Things to consider when choosing an agent:
- Local experience.
- Experience selling comparable properties to yours.
- Their rate of commission (lowest doesn’t mean the best).
- Recent sales data including price / time on market.
Prior to selecting an agent, do your homework. Attend open houses, auctions and keep a close eye on your local agents and how they work. Your goal is to create a shortlist of agents based on their ability to meet your goals.
Websites such as RateMyAgent can dramatically help you; they provide a single source of truth on agents by providing vendor reviews, data on their sales history and a starting point for selecting who you wish to meet with. They receive over 2,000 reviews from genuine vendors each week.
A site such as RateMyAgent can also give you the upper hand upon first meeting your agent; it shows you are engaged and actively working to select an agent based on merit and performance.
#2 Focus on small improvements that enhance the presentation of your property
Opt to not invest large sums of money remodelling your home, instead, focus on small and methodical ways to increase the initial presentation of your property and position it as clean and liveable house that allows the potential buyer to envisage themselves living in it.
A list of ways to increase your homes value prior to selling:
Tips for the interior of your house:
- Get the carpets professionally cleaned and remove stains.
- Sand your floorboards and re-seal them to give the house a fresh feel.
- Paint the inside of your house with light, non-offensive whites to make it feel open and bright.
- Remove any mould or signs of flaking paint from every room.
- Declutter your home; make it organised and tidy.
- Remove old lighting features; replace with down lights and dimmer switches.
- Remove any bad odours; replace old carpets, clean mouldy rooms, focus on making the bathroom perfect.
- Replace old blinds with something clean and modern; this will let more light in and cost very little.
- Find ways to make the house brighter; bright open houses are preferred by buyers.
- Make studies appear as bedrooms; if you have the space, try and make it minimalist to fit an extra bed into the room to help increase the number of rooms available.
Tips for the exterior of your house:
- Invest a few weekends to increase street appeal; focus on the entry to your home to ensure the gardens are perfect and well looked after to set the right scene for buyers entering your property.
- Aggressively trim back hedges three months prior to selling; this will allow for new, fresh green growth.
- Mow your lawns every two days while on the market.
- Pick up / blow all leaves and foliage that falls to make a clean entry to the home.
- Use tan bark in garden beds for a professional finish.
?What other tips do you have to increase the value of your property prior to selling?
Tell us in the comments below and we will add them to the list.