Here is a list of things to sell on eBay or elsewhere; whether it be Gumtree or even your own garage sale. These items are always in demand and can fetch you relatively good money, quickly.
The list of things to sell is designed to inspire you to find items and ‘stuff’ inside your house that you can sell. We often talk about the need to save money quickly and selling things you already own is a great way to do this – it also helps to declutter your home.
Nothing is better than recouping lost money on items you no longer need. Some people simply throw out; otherwise take a few days to clean up, clear up and sell online. I’d rather a couple of dollars than nothing, so look through this list and I hope it inspires you to reclaim some of that spending.
I need your help! I would really love to add to this list and find more items that can easily be sold. Please leave a comment at the bottom of this article with any ideas you might have or would like to see added.
Got credit card debt? Pay it off faster LIMITED TIME ONLYMove your existing credit card balance to a new card and pay no interest for up to 18 months.
Kitchen items and appliances
Sell the items you no longer need, especially novelty items designed to perform one function that we often end up having. E.g. a soda maker (that makes water fizzy) or a jaffle maker. You simply do not need these items.
- The spare freezer
- Unused kitchen appliances
- Sandwich press
- Serving platters
- Milkshake makers
- Waffle makers
- Bar fridge
- Any assorted kitchen appliance that isn’t vital
Grab a container and wander the house picking up bits and pieces from this list that you can sell. There is something quite satisfying about decluttering your house, so spending a bit of time removing unnecessary items and then receiving cash for selling them is quite fun (for me anyway)
- Games, puzzles and board games
- Cook books
- Vinyls/records – sometimes vintage records fetch good money
- Retro toys – these can also earn good money
- Kids toys
- Perfume and aftershave you no longer use
- Vacuum cleaner
- Piano (so many people have unused pianos that sit there!)
Think wisely before selling this stuff. Old pieces of jewellery can often fetch good money, especially gold. Consider selling the one ear ring you have after losing its partner on a night out.
- Jewellery (especially gold)
Devices, gadgets and consumer electronics
These are always a great way to make quick money. Highly sought after, easy to sell and best to sell prior to the release of newer technology. If you think you may want a new iPad or gaming console, attempt to sell on eBay prior to the release of the latest version; you will make nearly 20% more.
- DSLR camera
- Digital cameras
- Old iPod
- Old mobile phones (see Bounce Mobile)
- Playstation 2, games and accessories – best to sell as a bundle
- Playstation 3, games and accessories – best to sell as a bundle
- Computer accessories and cables
- Xbox, games and accessories – best to sell as a bundle.
- Nintendo Wii – games, accessories and console
- Old laptops or laptops not in use
Do you really need a china cabinet? Wouldn’t you prefer no debt? Antiques can be lovely to have, though if you are not completely a fan of the item, or it doesn’t hold sentimental value, you should consider selling and realising the cash.
- Antique china
- Plates and saucers
Declutter and make room in your wardrobe. Clothing fetches good money on eBay, especially if it is womens clothes and rarely or never worn. I have a friend who buys lots of clothes, doesn’t wear them (sometimes) and then sells them later.
Quite often she nearly gets the full value for the item which amazes me. There are literally swarms of people out there searching eBay for a bargain clothes wise.
- Unworn shoes
- Unworn clothes
- Occasionally worn designer clothes
- Children’s clothes that no longer fit
Can you be bothered to sell these? While they may not fetch too much money, they are big and bulky items that take up space, clutter your house and would be better realised in cash terms that you can then invest or save.
- Old bed
- TV cabinet (wall mount TV instead)
- Dining table and chairs you don’t use
- Couches (popular, plus they take up lots of space)
Items from your garage or shed
Power tools and garden tools always go down well at a garage sale. In fact, only recently my local community had a ‘sell and swap’ day where everyone sat in their driveway and sold old items. Powertools were the hottest item, with over 10 seperate people asking if I had any power tool for sale.
- Power tools
- Old tents
- Camping chairs
- Old lawn mower
- Leaf blower
- Old tarps
- Trestle tables
Home office bits and pieces
Clear out the office so you can actually do some work.
- Old printers and electronics
- Filing units
- Storage units
- IKEA furniture you no longer need
Methods to earn more
Ways to earn more money when selling these items.
- Charge delivery, do it yourself
- Use GumTree for free, not eBay to avoid fees
- Use Facebook Buy/Sell pages in your local area
- Charge $50 delivery, use AirTasker.com to pay someone $25 to drop off for you.